Heads up – OSX 10.10 Beta – no go

News Forums Main Heads up – OSX 10.10 Beta – no go

Tagged: 

This topic contains 56 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  jmorales 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Posted in: Main
  • June 2, 2014 at 9:31 pm #20746

Installed OSX 10.10 Yosemite after WWDC, first thing I noticed was TRIM was not enabled with my recently installed Transcend JetDrive so I ran Trim Enabler, boot now fails.

Hoping there’s a way to boot to safe mode and undo the setting.

June 2, 2014 at 9:46 pm #20747

Same problem here! No boot and i can’t access the hard drive! Any ideias to undo the trim settings?

Reinstalling the system is not working.

June 3, 2014 at 12:16 am #20750

Same problem 🙁

June 3, 2014 at 1:26 am #20751

Same here, Yosemite finished installation and Trim was not enabled, I’ve enabled the app and restarted only to find out that the Mac is no booting anymore, save mode will give a “still waiting for root device” message.

How we can disable trim or any workaround to get back the mac without losing everything and reformatting?

June 3, 2014 at 1:40 am #20752

You need to boot to your recovery partition with cmd + r at startup.

Then open the terminal and issue these commands:

rm -rf /Volumes/<10.10 Partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext
    cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext /Volumes/<10.10 Partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext
    touch /Volumes/<10.10 Partition>/System/Library/Extensions
    kextcache -u /Volumes/<10.10 Partition>

This should disable the trim support again and make your system bootable

June 3, 2014 at 2:06 am #20754

Thanks this is what I’m getting on this line:

cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext /Volumes/”Macintosh HD”/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext is a directory (not copied).

All the other lines enter correctly but booting still not working on the mac, any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your time.

June 3, 2014 at 2:37 am #20756

In that cp command, add -r after cp.
    cp -r /System/...

The -r flag tells the copy (cp) command to include the contents of the director.

I had this same issue and these commands got be back up and running.

June 3, 2014 at 2:46 am #20757

Fantastic, it worked, thanks a lot for sharing.

June 3, 2014 at 4:47 am #20759

Hi, I have the same problem as everybody else here.
    In addition when I type in the commands in the Terminal I always get a error message. The File does not exist.
    Are there any other commands I can try?
    Please help me:-)

June 3, 2014 at 4:49 am #20761

Had typed the commands here manually and have forgotten the -r

For others who come to this page the full fixed commands again:

rm -rf /Volumes/<10.10 Partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext
    cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext /Volumes/<10.10 Partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext
    touch /Volumes/<10.10 Partition>/System/Library/Extensions
    kextcache -u /Volumes/<10.10 Partition>
    June 3, 2014 at 4:53 am #20762

Normally when you boot into recovery mode the system should mount the folders in exactly this way.

Please note that you need to replace <10.10 Partition> with the name of your partition.

If you type the commands you can use the tab key on your keyboard for autocompletion. eg: cp -r /Sys<tab>/Libr<tab>/Exten<tab>

June 3, 2014 at 5:02 am #20766

Thanks a lot for your fast reply. I’ll try it and let you know in a few minutes:)

June 3, 2014 at 5:10 am #20767

So I typed in the commands and it seemed to be working fine. Reboot doesn’t work and I can’t get into the recovery mode anymore…

June 3, 2014 at 5:28 am #20770

Maybe you have typed rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext instead of rm -rf /Volumes/<10.10 Partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext

In this case you might corrupt your recovery partition and need to do a network recovery. You could manage to copy the needed files from there to your partition again but this will be more complicated.

June 3, 2014 at 5:34 am #20771

False alarm, I got back into recovery and typed the commands again.

At the last one [touch /Volumes/Macintosh SSD/System/Library/Extensions/kextcache -u /Volumes/Macintosh SSD]

I get this prompt:

touch: SSD/System/Library/Extensions/kextcache: No such file or directory
    touch: -u: Read-only file system
    touch: SSD: Read-only file system

Do you understand why this is happening? Is there any way for me to fix it?

Thank you so much already for your help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.